52 reasons why i love you

Update January 2013: Thanks to everyone who has visited, commented and shared this post. Who knew my little craft would be so popular?? pricklypants.com is now defunct but if you like what you see, join me over at reneeyoxon.com where I blog about my life as a professional jazz musician. See you there!

Renée

—————————————————-

Craig’s 28th birthday was yesterday so I decided to make him a little book out of playing cards to tell him how much I love him. This was a really fun gift to make because coming up with 52 reasons made me reflect upon a lot of goofy and fun memories from the last couple of years. The full tutorial is on craftster so please click through for more in-depth instructions, but here is my simplified version:

You will need:

• a deck of cards
  • 2 binder rings
  • sticky notes
  • a cheap pen with dry ink (don’t use an expensive, wet ink, ballpoint kind)
  • mod podge
  • a paint brush
  • a hole puncher

Punch holes in all the cards. I have a hole puncher with adjustable holes so I lined it up to fit the cards and punched them three at a time. Write 52 reasons why you love your special someone on 52 sticky notes and mod podge them to each card. I brushed mod podge on the back of the notes and over the front to seal them on. Lay the cards flat to dry for a few hours. Once all your cards are no longer tacky, bind them together with the binder rings. I used the joker cards to make the front and back cover and added a little title to the front card.

That’s it! Pretty easy right? Craig liked the gift and now it has a little home on his night stand.

Do you like receiving hand-made gifts? When was the last time you made someone a gift? Tell me about it in the comments.

This entry was posted in Crafts/DIY, Life and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to 52 reasons why i love you

1. Dianna says:

I absolutely love this idea! I will definitely be doing this as a christmas present for my husband. Thank you!

2. Deb says:

This is such a cute idea! I love it!

3. Bibi says:

This is so sweet and a wonderful idea for a Christmas present. I came across this page on Stumble and I just had to stop by and say Thank You for sharing this.

4. Fer says:

I love this idea! Another thing to use instead of playing cards would be paint chips! Make it a fun colorful gift for any occasion :)

• Renée says:

Oh yeah that is a good idea. Especially if your partner is a graphic designer or something. You could also use cue cards or construction paper, as long as the sentiment is there :)

5. Jenny says:

What a great idea! Bet it dredged up lots of memories for you and him.

6. Haley says:

I was just wondering, only the heart cards are showing in the picture. How did you arrange the other suits? Did you arrange all Ace cards together, then 2s, 3s, etc. Or did you seperate the suits and just start the numbers all over again with each?

• Renée says:

I bought a new deck of cards and left them in the order that they came in. So all the hearts in order, then all the spades, then all the diamonds, then all the aces.

The order doesn’t really matter though :)

• Haley says:

Great! Thanks so much! This is the first year my family and I are making gifts for each other. I think this is such a cool idea, and not too hard. I’m so glad you shared!!!

7. Kelly says:

This is amazing! I’m on stumbleupon, and I needed another Christmas present for my boyfriend. Thanks so much!!!

8. Cloud says:

Only 52? darn gonna be hard to choose… :/

9. Kasi says:

I started making a list, and promptly finished it… picking only 52 things really is the hardest part. I wanted to make it well in advance so that I can edit and move things around as I think of them. Thanks so much for sharing :D

10. surama Rojas says:

Hola soy de Venezuela, te agradezco inmensamente esta maravillosa idea mis padres toda la vida han sido grandes jugadores de cartas, y este diciembre voy a sorprender gratamente a mi madre con esta idea tan genial!! bello recuerdo para decirle cuanto la amo!!
    Aqui te deje la pagina en Facebook de nuestro trabajo.
    Mil gracias!!
    Hello I’m from Venezuela, I thank you immensely this wonderful idea my parents’ life have been great card players, and this December I will be pleasantly surprised my mother with such a great idea! beautiful memory to say how much I love her!
    Here you leave the page on Facebook for our work.
    Thanks!

11. Ally says:

AWESOME idea can’t wait to do it! Our 3 year anniversary is the 25th so I might have to use 2 deck of cards and give 75 reasons (25 for each year) of why I love him.. Thanks for the idea!!

12. lilithlevana says:

wow that is absolutely gorgeous!!!! love the idea =D
    i’m definitely gonna try this as an anniversary present for my husband. thankyou so much for sharing!

13. Liz says:

I used to make my boyfriend a homemade gift every couple of months or so on our anniversary. Even when we broke up, (we got back together of course:)) he couldn’t bring himself to get rid of them. This really inspires me to start up that habit once again. :)

14. Christine says:

Where did you find the binder rings please? I’ve looked at Michaels and Wal Mart. No luck.

• Renée says:

Hi Christine, I found the binders rings at Staples and then for way cheaper at the dollar store. You don’t have to use binder rings to bind the book though, you could use ribbon or twine or anything you can think of.

15. Sophie says:

This is such an amazing, creative idea! I love getting my hands messy in a crafts project :) I’m definitely going to make this for my boyfriend for xmas! Thank you!

16. Pingback: Woohooo for Creativity. - The Bored Room - MilitarySOS.com

17. Kali says:

This is such an adorable idea. Infact, I just may steal this one of my husbands Christmas presents or valentines day gifts. I’m such a hopeless romantic so I’d rather spend $5 on a heartfelt gift than $250 on a pair of shoes. I’ve never heard of mod podge before is there another type of sealant I could use with it?

18. Pingback: Relationship | Pearltrees

19. Steen says:

I’m making this for my boyfriend this week! Neither of us are particularly romantic so we decided to do something out of our comfort zone and we’re exchanging home made gifts this weekend.

20. Lowri McNabb says:

This is a FABULOUS version of this project! The bright colors look gret and I love that you hand-wrote the reasons.
    Lowri :-)

21. NICE!! I love it!!
    from Chile
    c@

22. Leah says:

Me and my boyfriend are in a long distance relationship. And we have been kinda going through because of the fact we are apart, and so i saw this idea on another website, and i did it and sent it to him, and he loved it. Good way to keep your relationship going. I wish i would have taken a picture of it, but i totally forgot to:P

23. SellersWife says:

While my husband was deployed I sent him a deck of cards that I had Sharpied with reasons I loved him :) This is a neat way to package it!

24. nckxskpir xhozta attipnbgmeq

25. new york seo says:

Greetings! Very useful advice within this article!
    It’s the little changes that produce the most significant changes.
    Many thanks for sharing!

Also visit my web-site; new york seo

26. If your preferred fruit isn’t in season, use a package of frozen fruit with its syrup.
    Combine ingredients in blender and blend until
    frothy and smooth. For this most basic mango recipe, you only need
    a cup of chopped mango, a cup of vanilla yogurt, a cup of crushed ice, and a tablespoon of sugar (optional since the mango is already ripe in itself).

27. You can view the latest weather updates by
    just taking a look at your phone’s home screen, where it automatically posts weather info,
    and many types of without having to launch the application.
    With anywhere near this much controversy clinging on to its
    name, it will come as no real surprise that several of the world’s law
    enforcement officials authorities are already looking for ways to shut it down for good.
    The free Lyrics Search app can be acquired at the Android Market.

28. Jeunesse says:

What size sticky notes did you use?

29. Teri says:

I see you share interesting content here, you can earn some additional money,
    your website has huge potential, for the monetizing method, just type in google – K2 advices how to monetize a website